To: NJSP Student Athletes & Parents
From: Mike Sharkozy
RE: Athletics Re-Entry Plan
Bluejays, I would like to take a moment and inform you all that, in conjunction with the IDOE & IHSAA and local/state health officials, the NJSP athletic department has formulated a plan for re-entry for our high school sports programs. This re-entry plan is built around three phases, beginning July 6th and ending on August 15th. These phases are built to ensure the safety and health of our athletes and coaches to the best of our abilities, while still allowing our coaches and athletes to do what they do best.
Individual coaches will have guidelines for their specific sports and weight room procedures. Each coach and our trainer will also do a daily questionnaire for athletes who are coming to practice to check for symptoms of illness and ensure all athletes are feeling well. Student-athletes who do not need a new physical (you possessed one during the 2019-2020 school year) will need to fill out the 2020-21 HEALTH HISTORY UPDATE QUESTIONNAIRE And CONSENT & RELEASE CERTIFICATE, prior to returning to summer activities, found on our athletic and corporation websites (these can be turned into your coach– 1 per athlete). If the answer to ANY of the seven (7) questions on the Health History Update Questionnaire is “YES”, then the student must have a 2020-21 Physical Exam Form completed and dated April 1, 2020 or later. Athletes will also need to fill out the concussion form, medical treatment form, & insurance form before participating.
A few important points athletes to note:
- Lockers and showers WILL NOT be available during Phase 1 (possibly longer).
- Report in proper, clean gear that has been laundered since being used last. No sharing with others.
- All workout clothing is to be laundered at home. The school will not be providing laundry services for athletes at this time.
- Participants bring their own water (sports drink) and water bottles to each athletic activity. No sharing with others, water not provided at school.
- Parents should self-screen their student athletes before coming to school. Those showing symptoms of COVID-19 without being otherwise explained are to stay home. COVID-19 symptoms: fever, cough, difficulty breathing, chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, recent loss of taste or smell. Athletes who have had close contact with a person who is lab confirmed with COVID-19 are to stay home.
- Before each athletic activity: All athletes and essential personnel will report to the school for a pre-practice school screening. Locations will be announced by each coach. If an athlete answers yes to any of the questions, the athlete will be sent home and must abstain from practice for 72 hours.
I would also like to emphatically state that ALL SUMMER ACTIVITIES ARE VOLUNTARY. Schedules will be coming out soon from coaches to their athletes. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Do I need a 2020-2021 Physical? – Flow Chart